The Episcopal Church in Haiti
Haiti is the most populous and fastest-growing diocese in the Episcopal Church and was established 150 years ago.
The Episcopal Church has been active in Haiti for many years. The first missionary diocese in Haiti was founded by the Rt. Rev. James Theodore Holly, first African-American bishop in the Episcopal Church, in the early 1860's. Seeking to minister to the under-served rural population of Haiti, then, as now, primarily subsistence farmers, Holly founded churches with schools in order to advance literacy.
Today, the Diocese of Haiti is the most populous of all dioceses in the Episcopal Church with 84,943 members reported in 2016, and includes in addition to its churches, over 200 elementary and high schools along with numerous hospitals and clinics, technical schools, feeding and clean water projects, homeless shelters, reforestation efforts, and other practical programs designed to improve the lives of Haiti's approximately 11 million citizens.
With Haiti's government only able to provide education for about 10% of school-age children, the contribution of the Episcopal Church to the development of a literate Haitian population is significant.